The Atyrau Oil Refinery, or ANPZ (until 1991, Gurevsky), is one of the three leading oil refineries in Kazakhstan. Built during the Great Patriotic War over two years, using equipment supplied from the United States under Lend-Lease, it was commissioned in September 1945. The owner of the oil refinery is KazMunayGas JSC (99.53%). The design refining capacity is 5.5 million tons per year, with a refining depth of up to 87%.
The design of the plant began in 1943 based on a planned assignment from the USSR People's Commissariat of the Oil Industry. Construction of the plant was carried out under difficult wartime conditions. The technical design for the plant was developed by the American firm Badger & Sons. Adjustments were made by the design organization of State Trust No. 1 of the USSR People's Commissariat of the Oil Industry. Local design was adapted to local conditions by local designers at Embaneftproekt.
The initial capacity of the plant was 800,000 tons of oil refining per year and was based on oil from the Emba field and imported Baku distillate. From the very beginning, the refinery focused on fuel production, producing aviation and automotive gasoline, as well as various motor and boiler fuels. As the West Kazakhstan region developed and oil production increased in 1965, the refinery began to consider replacing expensive imported distillate with its own distillate through reconstruction. In the 1960s, a course was set to increase oil refining through the construction of new process units. From 1969 to 2006, the refinery built and commissioned units for primary oil refining (ELOU-AVT-3), catalytic reforming (LG-35-11/300), delayed coking, petroleum coke calcination, technical nitrogen production, gasoline hydrotreating and isomerization, diesel fuel hydrotreating and dewaxing, hydrogen purification and production, and sulfur production with a crystallization unit.
Over 70 years of operation, the refinery has evolved into a modern enterprise producing fuel-grade petroleum products. A major technical upgrade of all oil refining units was completed, increasing capacity to 5 million tons per year.
The design of the plant began in 1943 based on a planned assignment from the USSR People's Commissariat of the Oil Industry. Construction of the plant was carried out under difficult wartime conditions. The technical design for the plant was developed by the American firm Badger & Sons. Adjustments were made by the design organization of State Trust No. 1 of the USSR People's Commissariat of the Oil Industry. Local design was adapted to local conditions by local designers at Embaneftproekt.
The initial capacity of the plant was 800,000 tons of oil refining per year and was based on oil from the Emba field and imported Baku distillate. From the very beginning, the refinery focused on fuel production, producing aviation and automotive gasoline, as well as various motor and boiler fuels. As the West Kazakhstan region developed and oil production increased in 1965, the refinery began to consider replacing expensive imported distillate with its own distillate through reconstruction. In the 1960s, a course was set to increase oil refining through the construction of new process units. From 1969 to 2006, the refinery built and commissioned units for primary oil refining (ELOU-AVT-3), catalytic reforming (LG-35-11/300), delayed coking, petroleum coke calcination, technical nitrogen production, gasoline hydrotreating and isomerization, diesel fuel hydrotreating and dewaxing, hydrogen purification and production, and sulfur production with a crystallization unit.
Over 70 years of operation, the refinery has evolved into a modern enterprise producing fuel-grade petroleum products. A major technical upgrade of all oil refining units was completed, increasing capacity to 5 million tons per year.